From:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glyn Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Apr 1996 23:28:52 PDT
Shawna,
Greetings from UK

Yes there is an obsession here with clipping Q wings.  I don't, just because
it seems a very unkind thing to do.  I once heard an expert on insect flight
say that there are sensory nerve endings on insect wings especially the
leading edge; that put me off the idea altogether!  So I do lose some swarms
but as you sensibly point out they would probably go anyway if other forms of
basic control have been done and the urge to swarm remains.  I do mark Q's
though.

I also like your thoughts on pollen colours and identification I'm glad
someone else likes to look closely at bees while they are on flowers.  Have
you noticed that sometimes after lifting off from a flower a bee will hover
and apparently discard pollen. It is possible to see tiny specks of something
falling while they rub their back legs together.  I regret I've never
bothered to try to catch some of the material to identify it.  I cannot
remember now which plant it was on at the time.  Something to look out for
again this season.

Best Wishes

Glyn Davies, Ashburton, Devon UK