From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:44:34 -0500
On 30 Jul 97 at 7:58, Aaron Morris wrote:

> > into the honey. (By the way, does somebody have an answer what
> > determines the capping style with or without air space: the bees
> > or the nectar source?)....
>
> In his book _Honey_in_the-Comb_ Killion states that this is a
> genetic trait.  He would work to cull the bees who left no air
> pocket between honey and cappings from his breeding stock.  I highly

I try hard not to get on a high horse too often. But with the above
statement I have to. What a load of twaddle!!!
         All bees leave an air space when capping over stores. It's only the
passage of time and millions of tiny feet which compresses
those cappings down.
         Try adding a frame of foundation close to the brood, they will
draw, fill and cap, leaving air gaps. Then in a few months it will be
dark and flattened like the rest of the frames.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Dr, Unit 2,
Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6H1
Phone/fax  705-326-7171
David Eyre, Owner.