From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Nov 2013 09:00:54 -0500
> I get the impression that you folks feed an awful lot more than me (rarely more than 12lbs equivalent of sugar).

These discussions are useful until they verge onto a moralistic tone. No one would doubt that certain expenses are inevitable in raising honey bees, and we would probably agree that some actions are unconscionable. But the category of legitimate inputs and expenses is very broad.

I would include in legitimate costs: gasoline, advertising, medications, sugar, clothing, labor, loan payments, insurance, etc. etc. All of these can be deducted from gross income as expenses. (It's a wonder there's anything left for profit or reinvestment).

I question the wisdom of using antibiotics to increase production. The general consensus is moving toward the condemnation of this practice in livestock, due to the huge problem of antibiotic resistance in humans. This would not prohibit the use of antibiotics to treat specific diseases.

Feeding sugar is often inevitable, due to bad weather conditions. It is often useful to build colonies up prior to the honeyflow. It has some dubious uses, such as when the beekeeper strips off all the honey and feeds sugar in its place. However, I would point out distinctions are very subtle and based on personal values.

Pete