From:
Walter Patton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 1998 11:57:57 -1000
I have been watching "Organic Marketing " concepts since 1990. It has
always
been very frustrating as there was no one recognized standard to try and
acheive
if a bee keeper wants to produce and sell "Certified Organic " honey. I
also
discovered that the two state organic certification organizations
recognized
by the State of Hawaii to certify organic operations did not have any
requirements
established for honey production and so I was faced with dealing with one
of the mainland USA certification companies.I talked to several and have in

my files the regulation requirements from several of the companies. When
I inquired about fees I was told between $2,000 and $3,000 (US)dollars for
a producer and another set of fees to be a packer. I would also be
responsible
for transportaion costs for the inspectors.Bottom line is much confusion
and
high fees and uncertainty which organization's seal of approval would have
the
best world wide recognition.

Other countries are producing and labeling honey as certified organic and
selling
it around the world.Some bigger US packers are doing "Certified Organic"
honey and a
load of US packers and producers have been labeling and selling "Organic "
honey
trying to market their honey. USA honey producers need to level the playing
field on this
marketing issue. The "Certified Organic" concept has been coming for a long
time
and with out direction or enforcement ability.

I can see the frustration this issue will cause for producers that can not
comply with
the regulations and for the producers that feel that they can comply
realistic
standards are needed. I have looked at the huge Federal Registry posting
(115 pages)
and I do not know what they are proposing in total for certified organic
honey.

From my prospective this group should take a leadership role in this issue
and speak as a group with constructive comments and changes so that this
organic issue gets resolved to be as realistic as possible. I firmly
believe that
organic standards will be adopted by the USDA and that the beekeepers will
be better served to participate with the process rather to try and tear it
apart
because of our collective distrust of government. I totally agree with the
mistrust
and this organic issue will be resolved with or without producer
participation.
The big packers with the help of the National Honey Board are spending big
money helping well financed honey packers to attempt to market US honey
in foreign countries and they want the marketing advantage of labeling
certified
organic and as usual big money will get it's way.

Soo my segestion is that by some process this list gets a good set of
definitions
from the USDAthat will effect honey production and that it gets posted so
that all
can submit their comments during the comment period so that beekeepers can
have a say in this
marketing issue. Be sure the packers will let their feelings be known as
they
spread a little {$$} & honey  around D.C.

Credit should be given Washington for getting this very complicated issue
on the
public domain like the net.  I hope the USDA will disclose as well about
their intentions
regarding AU. & NZ. Honolulu airport honeybee import issue and let us all
know about the posting
on the national news.( another issue)

United our voice is stronger and we will never be united in one voice, and
getting
the hard rules up for conversation will be a more productive use of this
" THINK TANK OF BEEKEEPERS "  Great ideas and understanding
comes from the comments of this group of keepers & lovers of bees.

God Bless America and God Bless Honeybees and the rest of us.

                                Walter

         Walter & Elisabeth Patton    808-964-5401   Hawaii Time ?

     Hale Lamalani B & B             Hawiian Honey House
 House of Heavenly Light     Beekeepers & Honeypackers
      Bed & Breakfast                   100 % Hawaii Honey
www.hawaiihoney.com          [log in to unmask]
        27-703 A. Ka`ie`ie Rd., Papa`ikou, Hawaii  96781

     " The Beehive, the Fountain of Youth and Health "+