From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:05:03 +0100
Chris

> On the few occasions (in Ireland) that I have handled AMM I have found
> them
> gentle, if fact I can't remember being stung by one.  The get their
> reputation for fiestiness from the introduction of strange genes, usually
> AML
> which makes for a cross cross.

Absolutely right.  I do not understand why this myth is perpetuated.  I have
A.m.m. colonies that can be handled easily without smoke or gloves and I
have even cleared them using a blower and no smoke with not a single sting.
There are plenty of old photographs ( a number were shown at the recent
SICAMM conference) of beekeepers working with A.m.m. with no veils, and
older local beekeepers will attest to the fact the bad temper came only when
imports increased.

Despite the imports, mtDNA shows a backgound of just under 50% A.m.m. in
this area, so those bringing in exotic races find that when they requeen
themselves bad temper will start to show.  This is particularly true for
carnica which soon display bad temper when crossed with local stock.
Best wishes

Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/