Date:
Sat, 17 Dec 2011 18:53:07 -0500
> ...did you find the frames of 5.0 foundation to be so consistently irregular in cell construction?

This just happened to be _one_ box I came across with the two types on opposite sides.  I have yet to examine all the various + combs built this past year.  They are on hives and also it is sometimes difficult to know for sure what the cell shape is when they are full of honey and capped.

It appears that some hives drew this foundation, but I thought that this example was of interest and a warning to those who just buy what looks like Pierco frames and find they have something different.  They may work out in the long run, but they may need special attention in the meantime.

> When comparing those frames of cell building with the pics you provided of 5.4, it seems the 5.0 cell construction was wildly misconfigured. Think that might be due to bees used to 5.4 being put on 5.0 foundation?

Well, I think that this foundation is a bit on the small size for EHB. I bought it by mistake.  I think that 5.4mm is a bit big, but any bees will draw it well, and 5.0mm is a bit small and is giving me problems.  I like 5.2, and Pierco is the closest to that idea, but only in the standard size frames.  The medium depth Pierco uses different pattern.

If I had AHB, it might be OK, or even a bit on the large side, but I don't.

It used to be that when you bought foundation, you knew what you were getting, but these days you have to have a ruler with you and pay attention.

I may come to like these, but I have my  doubts.   For one thing, they get very brittle if left exposed to sunlight and I imagine in time.  I have not seen that with Pierco.