From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2011 10:22:31 -0400
> Hopefully to about 50 or so in two yards.

When I lived in San Diego County, yards of 120 were common. Most beekeepers I knew had trucks that hauled 120 at a time. When I moved to Upstate NY I was surprised to find that the largest yards around here are 36 at most. Many beekeepers with 400 or more hives keep 24 in a yard.

However, it seems pretty clear that the smaller the yards, the better, for all matters except loading them up to move. Small yards seem to have less problems with robbing, mite buildup, etc. I knew one beekeeper with several hundred hives who keeps 12 to the yard. Some of these yards are only a mile or two from each other.

A lot depends on ease of finding locations. These days it seems as if everybody wants bees on their property, finding locations around here is a breeze. I only have a few hives anymore so I keep them at home. I have an electric fence which I can run off the house current.

PLB