Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2017 00:12:39 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)

>I would not say that. I think one study showed a resurgence of spore count. Other research showed that >high spore count did not correlate with poor survival. So, if high spore count is not harmful, the fumagillin >would not be making it "worse." 

Bit of word parseing,  going on there.  Multiple studies show higher countes affter treatment,  and as you mention levels may not corelate to survival.  not positive thats true with both types of nosema.   Either way  its not a tool in the arsenal.

>In my view, the issue is more that people are using an expensive antibiotic with no clear purpose. I asked >one beekeeper why he has been using it for decades, does it really help? His reply was that he looked at >like insurance: you pay for it, hoping you don't need it. 

Maybe that beekeeper,  but I know several who swear by it.  and they will flat argue the point.  Since they run 10 times the hives I do,  I don't doubt them.

>In view of the antibiotic crisis, I think it is wise to stop using antibiotics where there is no clear benefit and >where there is a significant potential for harm to the human population. 

It seems to me you may have not ready the study I cited previously very close.  ( or read it differently)  that was a large metadata study that clearly showed 2 things,  one the resitince we are so worried about  already exist in the soils all around us,  so the base argument is at the very least suspect.,  and that the viral issues in animals are pretty different than the ones the humans face and are worried about.   

Just  seems way off and wrong to make rules that only screw with the little guys......  and in the words of the experts  have zero effect on large scale producers.  But  different debate.
Charles

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2