From:
Barry Donovan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2014 17:06:08 +1200
Hello All,

Regarding night-time inspection of beehives, in Harare, Zimbabwe, in 2012 I was told that at night the bees from opened hives wouldn't fly over the 2m- high security walls surrounding each suburban property, and so passers-by wouldn't be stung.

During daytime I found I could stand right in front of colonies inhabiting hollow trees etc. and not ever be apparently noticed by the bees. But I was told that if the bees were disturbed they certainly would attack.

Another observation is that the bees in Zimbabwe were smaller than the European Apis mellifera ligustica and Apis mellifera mellifera, and appeared to be about the same size as the Asian Apis ceranae I saw around Cairns in Queensland, Australia, a year earlier. Also, much like the Asian bees the workers flew directly into the hive. In other words unlike the European bees they didn't land and crawl in.

Regards,

Barry Donovan.

Christchurch,

New Zealand.

The contents of this e-mail are confidential and may be subject to legal privilege.

 If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disseminate, distribute or

 reproduce all or any part of this e-mail or attachments.  If you have received this

 e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete all material pertaining to this

 e-mail.  Any opinion or views expressed in this e-mail are those of the individual

 sender and may not represent those of The New Zealand Institute for Plant and

 Food Research Limited.