Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 11:47:13 -0700
> Dave, I've never suggested that Joe Beekeeper need to sacrifice
> colonies--it would normally put them out of business.  However, I strongly
> support those breeders, and government programs, that are looking to a
> future when we may have no effective miticides, and will be forced to move
> to naturally resistant stock.  This kind of support is to look beyond your
> own immediate self interests, and to try to leave a better world for your
> children.

I think we are all agreed on that.  The real shame is that there is no
organized campaign to use peer pressure on beekeepers to buy stock which has
at least some superior qualities in regard to disease and mite tolerance.

There are efforts, but for the average guy, it is more a matter of finding
any queens or packages than finding some that are going to improve the
neighbourhood.

Up here in Canada, getting good stock is even worse, since many of the US
specialty breeders are unwilling to face the paper hurdles and fees our
protectionist 'representatives' have thrown up to 'protect' our bees.

I would love to be able to identify and purchase bees which can eat AFB and
keep going, which don't succumb to nosema or mites and which winter and
produce honey, too.  I know they are out there, but I am really having
trouble identifying and sorting them with any degree of confidence.

I know I do have access to some good commercial strains and they are better
than in the past, but to make any improvement, we need to move beyond 'good'
and 'OK'.