Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 1994 21:44:24 CDT
Son Trinh insightfully writes:

> Hello,
>
>    I'm writing a paper on Varroa mites population and its effects on
> Honeybee for an English class.  The prof. requires that I use at lease
> ..least another source other than from the literatures, so I thought
> since I have access to this Bee-L, I might ask for you help.  If you
> can answer the questions below and send it back to me, I would really
> appreciate ur help.  You don't have to answer all of them of course.
>
> 1. What is ur views/opinions of Varroa mites?

It could very well mean the end to the way I earn my living.
It has been spread throughout the continent much faster than it would
normally have spread by migratory beekeepers who refuse to change their
managment styles to save beekeeping for the future.

> 2. How serious is the mite infestation in ur colonies/apiaries?

I'm clean so far, but the Varroa mite will soon be endemic in my province
(manitoba, Canada).

> 3. What is ur prefered treatments for them? (Apistan, colony replacement?)

Apistan is the only registered treatment for Varroa mites in Canada.

> 4. Any other things refered to Varroa mites are welcome.

THe first varroa mites in Canada were found by myself and a fellow student
researcher three years ago in a swarm trap on the Canada/US border.  It
was well known that a Texan beekeeper trucked hives into that location
from Texas.  The next year, varoa mites were found in domestic hives in
near beekeeping operations.

I think that American beekeepers should take some responsibility for the
health of their hives, and if their hives do contract some malady,
infection, infestation or whatever, then they shouldn't truck their hives
all over the continent giving their problems to everyone else.

Hope this helps your project.  Please feel free to ask more about the
situation in Canada, if you wish.

--
------------oooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo-------------
Phil Veldhuis           |  "if something is not worth doing,