From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 01:50:27 -0300
>Think about this for a minute.  Besides the risk of spreading diseases; which
>colonies are going to benefit the most from open feeding?  If you have a yard
>with some hives stronger than others, you ought to be bringing the weaker
>ones up to par.  In open feeding, the stronger ones, those needing it least,
>are going to be the ones to profit the most.
>As far as the spread of diseases/pests, I don't know if it's documented, but
>common sence indicates that it sure would increase risk.  Personally, I'd
>advise against it.
>Bee well,
>Ed Levi

I can hardly claim to be very experienced with barrel feeding, having only
used it for a couple of seasons, however my experience with it in my area is
very different than yours.  We have only had one day so far where the
temperature has reached 10 degrees C, which is what I like for quick brood
inspection.  However the bees have flown on several days whenever temps.
reached 5 degrees with sun and light to moderate winds.  My limited
inspections have revealed that the hives which are in danger of starving are
the STRONGEST hives, those which started brood rearing earliest and used up
their stores.  The weak hives generally have lots of honey are in danger of
being robbed.  This robbing is what I feel is the greatest danger for
disease spread, because of the possibility that some of these hives may be
weak due to disease.  Barrel feeding, in my opinion, is a way of reducing
robbing.  It's major drawback at this time of year is it's dependence on
good flying weather, and for that reason I am also emptying the wood
shavings out of the top feeders on the lightest hives and filling their feeders.
The other hives have their choice of syrup barrel or boxes of pollen
substitute, and the activity around them seems approximately equal.

I would also note that one of the purposes of spring feeding (when imminent
starvation is not the main motivation!) is to simulate nectar flow and
stimulate an increase in brood rearing.  It may be that having to fly to the
feeder more closely emulates a flow than interior feeding which *might*  to
the bees be more like rearranging their stores.  I do know that bees which
have not gathered pollen substitute from outside the hive are likely to
reject patties fed inside the hive.                                 Stan