From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 10:48:58 -0500
Kent asked if bees propolize these boards.

They do not.  Frankly, I never thought why not.  Perhaps because they are on
the bottom?

Kent also asked for more detail concerning how I make the boards.  Here is a
copy of a reply I sent to a private inquiry.  Based solely on catalog
pictures, the Dadant and Kelley screens look identical.

Note that the following referred to 1/2" hardware cloth.  New boards that I
make will use 1/8" hardware cloth.

"I take an 1 inch thick board which, of course, actually measures 3/4".  I
rip that into 1 inch strips.  I then cross-cut those into 20" and 16"
pieces.  I cut lap joints into both ends of the 16" pieces and one end of
the 20" pieces.

I then put one 16" piece and two 20" pieces onto a jig I made that exactly
fits outside a hive.  The lap joints from the 20" pieces fit those on the
16" piece.  I put a bead of glue on top of the strips, and then lay a piece
of 1/2" hardware cloth on top and staple it down.

Then I put another set of strips on top of the wire, and drive nails through
and into the strip below.

This gives me a 20" X 16" piece of hardware cloth supported by the strips.
The setup is set on my hive stand in same manner as a bottom board, and the
lower hive body sits on top of the setup.  The end without a set of 16"
strips provides a lower entrance into the hive.

I hope this helps."

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com