From:
Mark Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 1996 22:13:06 -0800
>I regularly heat my crystalized honey and notice no change in the
>flavor.  I am though cautious to heat only to about 145 degrees F.  When
>I first did this using a double boiler, it was hard to maintain the
>temperature.  I found the solution at a farm auction.  I bought a old
>thermostatically controlled deep frier.  It does an excellent - and
>inexpensive - job.  Once set, the thermostat warms to 145 and holds it
>until all crystals are gone.  I can do about a half dozen one pound
>bottles at a time...  The water (which I use instead of the oil the frier
>used to use) acts as a buffer just as the double boiler would.
>
>Larry Krengel
>Marengo, IL  USA

145 degrees will seriously damage your honey. Anything above 110 will
destroy the enzymes which are in the honey and which give fresh honey its
special flavors and odors. Do a taste test on before and after samples You
can liquefy your honey by setting your melter to 100 degrees F and leaving
it for 24 hours. Experiment with the temp and the time. The lower the temp
the longer it will take. I would recommend the lowest temp to liquefy the
honey in 24 hours. I have a waterbed heater in an old chest freezer
connected to a Walter Kelley temperature switch. With the switch set to 95
degrees F most any honey liquefies in 24 hours. 60's take about 2 days.

Mark Jensen-Double J Apiaries           [log in to unmask]
Los Altos Hills, CA, USA                     fax 415 941 3488