Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:31:48 -0800
> Joe Waggle recently spoke of the importance of trust but later derided the
> notion of credentials.

At risk of beating this subject to death, I have to suggest that 'derided'
may not be the right word.

de·ride
Pronunciation: \di-?rīd, dē-\
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): de·rid·ed; de·rid·ing
Etymology: Latin deridēre, from de- + ridēre to laugh
Date: circa 1526
1 : to laugh at contemptuously
2 : to subject to usually bitter or contemptuous ridicule

Joe said
> IMO, The value of what a person has to say, should not always depend upon
> credentials.  How many on the list have a collage degree in anything
> related to honeybees?
and
> IMO, Bee-L is blessed to have a wide variety of members with different
> backgrounds, this is an asset, and should not be limited by the exclusion
> of those not having what is perceived to be ?credentials?.
and
> Perhaps, a requirement for credentials could be left out altogether.  With
> or without credentials, wouldn’t you expect the issue being discussed to
> stand up to scrutiny?

As I see it, that was not derision, but an honest argument for detaching the
ideas from specific persons and suggesting that we not address or examine
the credentials of those advancing theories on the list

I. of course, do not agree that the matter is so simple.

In fact, I totally -- but respectfully -- disagree.

We talk about Einstein's General Theory of Relativity
We talk about Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle
We talk about Lusby's Small Cell Theory

The names and personalities are inextricably linked with the theories (and
they all are theories).

Some think Einstein was wrong, or only partially correct, and when they
discuss his ideas, it is always with his name and credentials in mind as
well as how he arrived at his conclusions.  His life story is of great
interest.

I am uncertain about Heisenberg <g>, but his name is always mentioned

And I am convinced that Lusby is wrong about Small Cell, or "Smallcell", if
you prefer, but because her life story and activities are part and parcel of
this influential theory, her name and personal experience is of interest as
well.

If I were to publish a theory, I would expect constant scrutiny as well.
Moreover, I am not offended if someone challenges my experience and my right
to make a statement.  It keeps me thinking.

allen
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/articles/feedqueens.htm
---
I happen to feel that the degree of a person's intelligence is directly
reflected by the number of conflicting attitudes she can bring to bear on
the same topic. -- Lisa Alther, Kinflicks, 1975