From:
Dave Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2010 13:49:18 -0400
Bill,

Unfortunately it's too late for the most important spray of the season, but
you need to be ready next year. That is the dormant oil spray as winter
ends. Pick a nice sunny day in late winter/early spring before the buds
start to break. Be sure to wet the tree thoroughly and get the spray into
all the crevices in the bark. This non-toxic spray will suffocate most
overwintering pests and their eggs. Also to remove overwintering pests,
remove all leaves, dropped limbs, etc in the fall. Keep the area under the
trees clean of any debris.

It's quite likely that if there is any damage to this year's fruit, it has
already happened, so the prebloom spray is also highly important. Take any
fruit that already shows insect damage off the tree and burn or bury it so
the pests cannot complete their life cycle.

Some non-toxic pesticides are available. Surround will help with codling
moth; it is a fine kaolin clay and water mixture, probably with some kind of
sticker, that coats the fruit and makes it unattractive to the adults. You
can also trap the adults with sticky balls that they think are fruit and
land to lay eggs, only to stick forever.

If you are surrounded by wild land, it will help a lot, as soon as you clean
up what has been overwintering on your old trees. If you have other apples
around you, you'll be pretty much stuck with following their program. Here
in coastal South Carolina, where I have a number of low-chill apple trees, I
have only sprayed insecticide once in five years - and I think I was
premature at that time. We have (and encourage) a lot of ladybugs, wheelbugs
and other assassin bugs, mantises, soldier beetles, etc., and they are
building up and getting so efficient that I've only seen a couple japanese
beetles in the last two years. On the apples, we have never had coddling
moth or apple maggot. The only pests are wooly apple aphid, green apple
aphid and occasional bagworms. It helps that we are surrounded on three
sides by woodland.

The one time I sprayed was Malathion for aphids in my first year - and I
think now I could have given the lady bugs a bit more time, as they have
doen an excellent job with the aphids since. Or I could have used Safer
soap, which kills by suffocation not by poisoning.

If you do put on a poison, make sure you get complete petal fall before
application. Also mow or otherwise remove any bloom of any kind that will
receive any of the poison - such as dandelion, henbit and clovers, so that
foraging bees don't pick up the poison from them.

When I managed an orchard, we kept bees alongside the orchard year around
and monitored them. We had a pretty much normal spray program, except that
we never used any Penncap M, or Sevin dust, which are long lasting and get
into the pollen, but we did use Sevin in liquid formulations. All spraying
was done between dusk and midnight, and we did not allow any orchard floor
bloom to be present for contamination of the nectar/pollen supplies. We
never had any detectable loss of bees.

Mites were always more difficult to control than insects. We had one block
of orchard that was about ten miles from the rest of the farm, and it was
away from other orchards on a drumlin surrounded by woods and wooded swamp.
In that block we never used a miticide. There were so many predators (mostly
mites themselves) coming into the orchard that they kept pest mites cleaned
up.

You need a jeweler's loupe and some knowledge to identify the mites. If you
have pest mites, and your leaves turn bronze by late summer, you will have
hurt the following year's crop.

I hope this helps.

Be sure to train your young trees. A lot of varieties put out limbs that
reach for the sky and they must be spread to give them more light, slow
their wild growth and form buds for next year's fruit. These buds are
already forming and will be fully determined within about a month from now.

Dave in SC