Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2012 16:51:06 -0700
> My read on this thread was another one of those "we big guys know
> everything and the rest of you don't". I know that was probably not
> intended, but the perception was strong, hence my reply. Especially for
> clarification for those new to the list and who do not know the
> personalities of the posters and understand if a grain or ten tons of salt
> should be taken.

The point was that after after starting out believing all the horse
feathers being bandied around by imaginative and romantic bee writers of
the time and some of their present day successors, and forty years of
making every possible mistake several times over, I don't wish that on
anyone else.

The bald facts are simple and there are plenty of good straightforward
books, but there is a lot of crap out there, too.  A newbee has trouble
distinguishing.  Some advise distrusting the advice of professionals.
Even though there are legions of dedicated scientists examining every
aspect of beekeeping and publishing their clear and detailed findings in
magazines and books, many prefer to _pretend_ to keep bees and tinker,
over applying themselves to the craft.

Added to the problem is that competent beekeepers usually have no need
to spend time preaching, but those who have other motives than just
keeping bees often spend time seducing beginners just to feel important.

It is not a matter of who is "Big", although being "Big" and managing to
stay "Big" does hone one's sense of what is true and reliable over time,
and what is just crap and transient imaginings it has to do with
experience and a feeling of debt to the old beekeepers who took the time
and had the patience to set me straight --often against my objections..

If you had said, "we old guys know everything and you other guys don't",
you'd have been closer, but still be wrong, Bill.  Nobody knows
everything, but anyone who stays around can see what is just vapour.

However you interpreted the thread, the intended gist was, "we old guys
owe it to the newcomers to watch out for the BS and if we have to shout
it out once in a while, then so be it".

Thanks for the assist.  You're an old guy,too and hard to fool, the
second time, anyhow.  And you say what you think.