From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2008 10:16:01 -0500
Hi

I could write about this at length, how to make cages, emerging in
incubators, emerging in nucs, etc. But while I was looking for a nice
picture of a tube type queen cage I stumbled upon this Web Site which might
interest you.

http://www.vycage.com/

On the other hand, one has to weigh the cost of losing a certain number of
queens by introducing cells into nucs _versus_ the additional cost in terms
of time and effort trying to avoid such losses through extraordinary measures.

Beekeeping is, and always has been, about percentages, nothing is ever
perfect. One of my mentors, Shannon Wooten, told me that if you don't have
enough queens, you need to raise twice as many as you are.

In other words, plan for a 50% shortfall. Good advice in any case.

pb