Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 10:51:41 -0700
> I did try to use a bee blower to inject powdered sugar into the entrance
> and treat the whole hive without moving any frames. ...
> I am sure someone could come up with a portable, effective method to
> quickly treat a hive without tearing the hive apart....

IMO, the next Big Thing will be oxalic acid evaporation.  It has a good
report.  It does not seem to hurt bees, leave a residue in honey, or
endanger the operator if used with care.  It can be applied at a time of
year when the bees and beekeeper are not occupied with important tasks, and
costs 2c per colony per treatment.  Several treatments a year should do the
trick and to paraphrase, 'resistance is futile.  All mites will be killed'
on contact.

P-O kindly showed how he does it at
http://www.algonet.se/~beeman/research/oxalic/oxalic-1-nf.htm.  (Those are
lovely pictures.  I wonder how he gets them so clear).

I have been wanting to see in person how this works, and I happened to
stumble onto just what I am looking for, at the recent ABA convention.  Cor
Dewit made a slide presentation to the ABA convention showing how he
converted the European evaporator to work with a mobile low pressure blower
so he can blow the vapour into entrances of hives -- even after they are
wrapped  -- and avoid all the problems associated with pushing a hot (300
degrees) evaporator into a hive entrance.  Hive entrances may have low
clearance or be obstructed with flammable wax and dead bees.

He has consented to my putting his pictures on the 'Net and as soon as I get
the slides converted to digital, I'll post a URL.  I gotta say, though, when
I first saw the contraption, I thought to myself, "This is the dumbest
looking thing I have ever seen".

Stay tuned.

allen
http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Diary/