From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2012 09:40:21 -0800
>We anticipate this microbiota will become central to studies on

> honeybee health, including colony collapse disorder, and act as an
> exemplar case of insect-microbe symbiosis.

A recent field trial by Brian Johnson and Eric Mussen in California (in
prep) started something like 200 colonies on foundation, feeding some
sucrose syrup, and some ProSweet (50:50 sucrose:HFCS).  Other treatments
included treating the founding package with  simultaneous strong doses of
three antibiotics at the start (200mg ea Tylosin, OTC, and fumagillin), or
feeding a dog probiotic (including LAB bacteria, but not the species found
in bees).

The colonies built up best on the ProSweet blend.
Feeding or withholding antibiotics did not appear to have any effect.
Feed the dog probiotic did not appear to have any effect.

The results were surprising to many.  The experiment was well designed and
meticulously carried out.
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA