From:
Bil Harley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2011 06:51:01 -0400
Here in France the regulations have just changed. Previously one applied to the Veterinary Service for a registration number and once a year sent off a form stating how many hives were in production. It cost nothing and although there were, in theory, inspectors, in my region there was no funding for them so no inspections were done.
Now we must apply for a national registration number in order to obtain or maintain our regional number which must be displayed on our hives. My region ran out of funding for this additional administrative work several months ago so new applications are being refused. So much for the State!
In fact we rely on our local beekeeping association. It costs 17€ plus an optional insurance of 1€ per hive. They have taken things in hand and sent a number of volunteers on a training course for bee inspectors and they hope to inspect all the hives in our region over the next 3 years. They also have a free veterinary service and a cooperative that bulk buys and sells at cost.
Altogether it's a very good deal and all down to free enterprise.
Bil Harley (Rhone Region)