From:
"DANIEL A.J. RYAN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 15:52:09 AST
Hi Everybody....

I have been following the discussion on locating hives in cities with
interest.  I am interested in bee keeping as a hobby, and would like to
have a hive.  However, being located in the residential zone of a small
town, I thought it would be against the town bylaws (I checked, it isn't
at least here) or at least there would be problems with the neighbours...

For those of you that have hobby hives (sounds like a bad disease ;) located
in cities or towns, what problems with neighbours have you encountered?
How did you handle them?

From a legal point of view, if a kid gets stung down the block from you and
dies because he/she was allergic to bees, what would happen?

What if a kid runs onto your yard and into the hive?

Where would you keep the hive on a lot relative to the house?  The
further away from my house you get the closer you get to the neighbours,
suggesting you want to keep it near your house (not near a door).  There is
one section of the yard that is rarely used near a window and I thought
it would be a good spot.  This spot gets the early morning sun until about
11:00 or 12:00 and it is in shade for the rest of the day.  It is as far away
from the neighbours as I can get (and doors).  The only other option would
be to place it on the carport roof, which is in the sun all day, with no
shade.  This sounds like it might get to hot for the hive.  It would also
cause minor problems when inspecting the hive.  However this has the
advantage of being out of the way and no kids would run into it accidently.

Any and all opinions are solicited...

Thanks in advance for your help...

Dan Ryan