From:
Dawid Swart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 14:31:12 GMT+2
>Do you know where I could find such a machine?
Are there alternatives?

 You must remember that the foudation presses used in Europe, the
Americas and Australasia are made for bigger bee races than those
found in Africa. Dont buy a wax-press you can't use.

>I am wondering if there are by-products that can be made from very dark
honey. Uganda has a great deal of dark honey and my understanding is that
this is not too marketable.

 The word here is marketing. Ugandean honey is unique. Use that to
your advantage. The local people will prefer dark honey because they
grew up eating it.

>Almost all the honey (maybe all) in Uganda is produced in traditional or
semi-traditional hives. This means it is harvested in chunks of comb that
need to be crushed (I think??) before extraction. Do you have any comments?

 Again, use the comb-honey to your advantage. If you want to
extract honey then start beekeeping in 'Langstroth' hives.
Alternatively you can buy or build a honey press, or use the same
methods as the locals. Learn from them.
Dawid Swart
ARC-PLANT PROTECTION RESEARCH INSTITUTE
P/Bag x134
Pretoria
0001
South Africa

E-Mail [log in to unmask]
FAX (27)(12) 323-5275  TEL (27)(12) 319-7148