From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:37:09 -0800
Aaron wrote:  "I am always wary of reporters who interpret what they think they heard
and attribute it to what someone else said."

  For years, the press/media has been blamed and castigated to have a "liberal bias."  But more and more, I think they've gravitated to a pessimistic interpretation toward anything negative, derogatory, defamatory, cataclysmic, tragic, gossipy or anything that portends the sky is falling and we're all going to die or that exercise will kill you or high-fiber/low-fat diets causes mental illness.

  In the counseling field, they call this type of conjecture, "catatrophizing."

  And best if they can do it with certainty by quoting an expert.  I cringe at the times I've been quoted accurately, but not completely.  The lack of context can really make you sound distorted, even creepy like you ought to be arrested.

  This kind of reporting usually grabs our ears and sells advertising space.  I'm always wary that the problem is as bad as they claim, but if you can get an expert quoted out of context.........

  Grant
  Jackson, MO     --naturally optimistic to the chagrin of all those media types