From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 07:04:08 -0400
Allen Dick wrote:

> This came over the transom.  It is a MUST READ:
> ---
> Thought you might be interested in this nice summary of imidacloprid. You
> can view it at www.pesticide.org/imidacloprid.pdf

Interesting reading, but I am hesitant to accept the conclusions of an
organization dedicated to eliminating pesticides from the environment.
Too much agenda. I am especially wary when even the inert ingredients
are labeled carcinogens. Just about anything in excess or used
improperly causes problems. Including, the killer, dihydrogen oxide, for
which an excellent case can be made to ban it since it is the second
leading cause of death for young children in the US. It causes bee
deaths in the millions every year.

There is also an article in the latest Bee Culture by Mark Winston on
the same subject and has more balance. Especially pointing the finger
back at us for using organo-phosphates, which environmentally are a much
more dangerous class of pesticides than imidacloprid.

I am not a defender of imidacloprid, but we need better science.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME