From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2008 07:38:39 -0500
A short excerpt from the writings of Andy Nachbaur

Stress Accelerated Decline [SAD] and Bee Immune Deficiency [BAD]

A few years later, now using enlightened treatments for Nosema, AFB,
and EFB, my bees again were SAD. It could only be from pesticides. No
antidotes were known, but I did get a government Pesticide Indemnification
Payment, or PIP... Again several years later more SAD bees, still treating
for Nosema, AFB, and EFB, but no more PIP's... SO I stopped going to
summer pollination. {The surest way I know of gaining pesticide damage.}
And since have tried to limit the time my bees are in the crop growing
areas where pesticides are used.

Successful keeping of bees in the ninety's will require several beekeeper
skills or inputs. Two of great importance are:

1.  Beekeepers ability to locate his bees in quality pasture.
2.  Beekeepers ability to renew his colonies that die for whatever reason.

* * *

July 1990, M.T. Sanford adds:

Although pesticide use in
California is heavy, Mr. Nachbaur found SAD and BAD bees in areas
where few pesticides are used and in some instances bees sent in for
analysis showed no residues of toxic chemicals.