From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2010 18:53:29 -0500
> Excellent points, Pete!  With Remebee dsRNA, the colonies responded better
> to once a month treatment, than to once a week.  Once a week appeared to
> "overload" them.

Keep us posted on "overload' if you are feeding a similar as natural
product.

>>And, to practice IPM, how does one know " the bees already have a
>>low-level
> virus infection"?
>
> Dave Wick will run IVDS screens for $40 per sample.

Wow. what's the turn around on samples and how many samples need sent to
determine a need for remebee. A single hive? ( if so your strongest or a
"dink" I would depopulate anyway?) 10% of hives?
If 10% as a test then the samples for a 1000 hive beekeeper would cost $4000
plus shipping.
I bet the makers (and sellers) are banking on prophylactic use. How many
times a year?
Can I buy stock in the company?

> It is made from double-stranded RNA sequences specific to the viruses
> targeted, similar (or the same) as those produced intracellularly by
> virus-infected bees.

I am still interested in the "overload" described by Randy. Please keep us
informed!

  It is fed in syrup once a month just before onset of
> cold weather.  Cost should be in line with other bee treatments.

The absolute bottom line for *legal* bee treatments runs at least a buck a
hive to usually around $3.

Or "dictating" $200 for the two-frame colonies that
> you reported in mid February last year?  If that's dictation, then please
> let me be the stenographer!

I am first a successful businessman. Second a beekeeper. Farmer has also
been on my tax return.

Why would a grower rent a 2 frame hive for $2oo. Simple. you can not buy
almond crop insurance without renting bees!

For those not familiar with government programs take a listen. Government
crop insurance will only pay when seed has been planted so I have seen seed
planted when the farmer knew he was simply wasting seed .

The farmer nor the almond grower made the rules but both are forced to
either rent 2 framers and collect insurance on a dismal crop or plant seed
when no chance of a decent corn or bean crop to make a profit.

> Bob, you are often the only person thinking a certain way, but in this
> case,
> both I and most anyone would agree with you.  I would not have made that
> claim, although they could indeed pull it from the data.

But the study posted does not explain the higher honey crop is made based on
sick bees not treated with sick bees treated. Hmmm.

> Bob, do you believe every piece of ad copy???  The product only has
> potential to help colonies fight virus infection.  If viruses are knocking
> off the field force, that hive is not going to make honey.

Maybe remebee should add the above to the study?

bob