From:
"(Rick Hough)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1992 12:01:51 EST
It has been my personal experience that bees are more aggressive towards
dark clothing - I have a pair of black denim pants that I will NEVER wear
in the apiary again - the bees really went after my legs the day I did wear
them.  Also, I have heard that honeybees tend to be more aggressive towards
"furry" things, such as flannel shirts.  So, I guess that explains why
many "bee suits" are made of white cotton - to be less like honeybees
natural predators.

With regard to smoker fuels - in Massachusetts, we often use sumac bobs in our
smokers - I like the smell, and it seems to calm the bees better than other
fuels I've used, although the difference is not all that substantial.  In
talking with other beekeepers, it seems that they use whatever is handy and
inexpensive, as long as it is "natural", to avoid generating smoke that might
be toxic to the bees.  As was mentioned by another BEE-L correspondent, the
key seems to be "plenty of cool, white smoke".  I agree completely!

Finally, I recall questions about bees stinging veil netting, etc.  It has
been my experience that the bees seem to try to sting anything when they
get angry.  Once a site has been stung once, the stinger that is left behind
emits an alarm pheremone, which alerts other bees that "this is the enemy"
If a beekeeper acts quickly, and masks that alarm pheremone with smoke and/or
a dab of honey on the sting site, it seems that the other bees are less likely
to continue the aggressive behavior.  If left to their own devices, however,
additional bees will likely sting the same general area, releasing more alarm
pheremone, and so on.....

With regard to veils, I have been stung through my bee-veil, where
it rubbed up against my neck.  I have also found stingers in the veil itself,
although that is less common since the barbed stinger doesn't always hook
on the net when the bee attempts to sting the net.  I frequently find stingers
throughout my bee-suit, especially if I've been in the bee-yard for an extended
visit.  The bees also have an uncanny ability to locate any vulnerability
that I happen to have - they find every small hole in my veil, sting me if
my clothing is too tight, one even got me through the ventilation net on
the cuff of my glove!  Smart little animals, those honeybees!!

Rick Hough
internet: [log in to unmask]

PS - just to let you know, I have been keeping bees as a hobby for two years
now, so I am far from an expert, but at least I'm learning at a rapid rate!
This year, my wife and I built our apiary up to six hives (not bad considering
our one hive died last winter due to BOTH varroa and tracheal mites!) We
figure that with several hives, we have a better chance of getting
at least one hive to winter over!

PPS - Would people on BEE-L be interested in seeing more monthly newsletters
being circulated via BEE-L??  I belong to a beekeeping club that publishes
a monthly newsletter.  I've been thinking about sending it out on BEE-L,
and was wondering if that is a good or a bad idea.
Please let me know if you are interested in seeing our newsletter, either
by sending me a note via BEE-L or directly to me via internet to
[log in to unmask]  Thanks!!