Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2012 23:46:42 -0500
Bob said

suggested to Jerry back in 2007 (in archives) to use an abandoned  airfield
to set hives
and recover the dead flyers

We didn't need to do this at an air strip, we had a CCD colony  that
crashed, rebounded.  We placed it in an observation  hive.  Initially we had lots
of bees (covering most of both sides of 5  frames) and two queens (one under
each side of glass and each stayed on her own  side).  This 'recovered
colony was growing fast
, then suddenly it took another CCD-type crash, followed by  several
smaller ones, and ended up with one queen and six bees.  We  sampled every few
days and the Army analyzed these bees -  bees in the  hive, dead ones we found
in the exit tube, and sometimes we even found a few  dead and dying bees on
the ground.  We documented N ceranae and a  wide variety of viruses in the
first samples of the time  series.  N. ceranae was common to all sample
periods.  Eventually, we  found mainly N. ceranae and one virus.  Its in our
paper.  And as  for our critics, we have finally found the time to finish a
rebuttal to those  who think the Army doesn't know how to conduct proteomics
analysis, which we are  submiiting for publication.  Lots of things our critics
forgot to mention  about their own methods.

Bob also said:

A suggestion was made to feed Honey Bee Healthy( HBH) when bees are off
feed
by jerry Bromenshenk with heavy nosema infestation.

With all do  respect to Jerry. We find HBH does stimulate feeding by bees
(so Bob  agrees with me here) but
the problem as defined by Dr. Eric Mussen  (USC Davis Bee lab) is the bees
are unable to take up syrup in the normal  way

I have the greatest respect for Eric.  I can only report what we've  seen.
Bees with heavy Nosema plus virus infections tend to stop taking any  syrup
at all, with or without fumagillin.  Drenching tends to kill a  pecentage
of bees.  Bees that have stopped feeding tend not to  survive.  Adding Honey
Bee Healthy stimulated feeding on syrup with  fumagillin, and our colonies
that resumed feeding, taking up  the treatment drug, usually recovered.

After recovery, it wasn't uncommon to see highf Nosema spore counts,
despite the treatment.  Robb Cramer has conducted tests that indicate that  these
may be leftover, dead spores.  He has a method of distinguishing btw
viable (live) spores, and inviable (dead) spores based on their mass.

 I'm not sure what is meant about bees "unable to take  up syrup in the
normal way". We see sick bees just stop feeding on syrup,  with or without the
drug.  If we catch this event when it first  starts, adding Honey Bee
Healthy was enough of a stimulant that the bees  would resume feediing on syrup
containing fumagillin. Not taking  syrup was abnormal.  The bees that resumed
feeding took up what we'd  classify as normal amounts of syrup for the size
of the population and time of  year.

Jerry