From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2017 09:04:01 -0800
We also run our hot tank in the 300-325F range, but don't dip as long as
some (we run 2 parts 142F paraffin to 1 part ww pine rosin, but have long
thought about switching to microcrystalline).  I ran tests of different
dipping times, and then cut the pine and stained it with a water soluble
stain to determine the degree of wax penetration.  Long immersion times
didn't appear to increase penetration.

I haven't confirmed, but it appears to me that the hot wax is *pushed* into
the wood grain by the atmospheric air pressure as the heated water vapor in
the xylem channels recondenses immediately after one removes the dipped
wood from the hot wax.  Thus, I want to remove the wood while it is still
boiling off water vapor.

So we watch the bubbling, and pull the equip just as the bubbling rate
starts to drop.  We've been considering a second dip as per Tim's
suggestion, since the extra outer layer of wax appears to increase it's
durability (we have unpainted dipped pine boxes that have been in use in
the weather for nearly 40 years now.

Our new pine boxes typically absorb about 45g of wax (hard to tell, since
they also lose some water weight).

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA