Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2011 21:27:27 -0500
In a message dated 3/6/2011 8:31:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I  don't use excluders, but combs with any brood debris in them are
sorted
> out and frozen for 24 hours before being stacked separately.

How and where do you stack the combs with brood debris such that wax  moths
do not reinfest the comb? I am assuming you tape the joints shut when you
stack them such that the wax moths cannot reinfest the supers?  Do you use
PDB?

I do not use queen excluders either.  I  seem to get better  overall
production without the queen excluder and lower my  cost.   I run a deep and
medium as my brood chamber / food  chamber and rely mainly on a band of honey to
keep the queen out of the honey  supers.  Sometimes this does not work but
in most cases a deep/medium  configuration is large enough for the queen to
lay in.  Some queens do lay  right up the middle. I stack supers with brood
debris, after extracting what  frames I am going to extract, on top of other
strong colonies until autumn  / winter and it is cold enough to kill the wax
moths.  For disease control,  I try to place wet supers back on the
colonies they came off of.

My philosophy is to give the queen as much room as she needs to lay  in.
It seems to delay swarming by a bit.

You are certainly correct about wax moths leaving white wax  alone. I guess
that was what Chris Slade was alluding to with the queen  excluder
recommendation.   Dead-outs are another issue.

Thanks,
Dave M.