From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2011 07:20:58 -0700
>I'm not blaming miticides in all cases of colony crashes due to Varroa. I
just think that was the case with these two Nucs.

Marc, please don't keep us in suspense--what evidence convinces you that
miticides were the specific cause in your case?

>Maybe the queens you bring in are not adapted to the varroa and the viruses
they harbour/vector in your test yard.

And the queens that you brought in were?  Why in the world do you think that
it would be different for your case?

>When I first saw California beekeeping I thought I had went back in time a few
 decades.

Bob, beekeepers using boom loaders are the exception in California.  Most
all commercial operations are fully palletized.  However, there are a few of
us who run under or around 1000 hives who find that the boom loaders suit us
just fine!  The economics and ability to utilize smaller yards are the main
advantages to me (I have two forklifts at my home yard, and regularly
consider going palletized).

Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA
www.ScientificBeekeeping.com