From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 2009 17:18:35 -0800
Seeking references.
I am compiling references related to bee
Hello,

Seeking references.
I am compiling references related to bee mortality or hardship occurring in the apiaries of histories most noted beekeepers.  The intent here is to use as a learning tool for beginning beekeepers to example the fact that devastating hardships in beekeeping occur for a variety of reasons, and to the experienced as well as the inexperienced. Please pass along references with source included, or tips concerning persons I should research.
Off list responses, are welcomed!

For example, here are a few I find interesting.

Aristaeus,  the contemporary and the rival of Orpheus, which Virgil in the book of Georgics, attributes the first taming and rearing of these little winged philosophers (Ref. Bevan), lost all his bees to disease and famine. 'Pastor Aristaeus, fugiens Peneia Tempe, apibus amissis, que morbo que fame,' "The shepherd Aristaeus, flying from Peneian Tempe, his bees being lost, both by disease and by hunger” (Virgil Book IV)

Dzierzon, Jan (1811-1906)
Dzierzon, the celebrated scientific apiarian of Germany, commenced about 1838 with a single stock, but these had so wonderfully increased that in the year 1848 he prided himself upon having more than 500 stocks. In the interval he had lost seventy colonies' from thieves, sixty destroyed by fire, and twenty-four by a flood. In the year 1848, he states, "a fearful pestilence made its appearance in my apiary, which spread so fast that it contaminated every stock and artificial swarm I then possessed." He lost this year more than. 500 stocks from the foul-brood. This was almost enough to dishearten any man, and make him resolve never to keep bees again  (British bee-farming: its profits and pleasures By James F. Robinson -1880, Page 150)

Bevan, Edward, M.D. (1770-1860)
“…within a few months of completing his ninetieth year As a public man Bevan was shy and retiring, but was much beloved in the circle of his private acquaintances. It is recorded as a proof of the esteem in which he was held, that on the occasion of a great flood in the Wye, in February 1802, washing away all the doctor's beehives, a public subscription was raised, and a new apiary presented to him, of which, as a very pleasing substitute for what he had playfully called his ' Virgilian Temple,' the venerable apiarian was justly proud.” (Dictonary of National Biography by George Smith - 1885 Page 444)

Best Wishes,
Joe