From:
Donald Aitken <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 11:00:46 -0600
I have used bucket feeders and hivetop feeders for some years in my
operation. I find the buckets much slower than the hivetop feeders. They
are a nuisance to fill and to refill. They should be washed out at the end
of the season and stored in a cool dark place. I use an old super to cover
them when in use and have had no problems with them coming off. There is a
problem in storing the old empty supers. The feed in my buckets is via a
2" hole with a disk of fine stainless steel mesh melted in. They would
doubtless feed faster with a larger area.

I am trying some of the frame feeders as mentioned some time ago by Allen
Dick and they seem good, at least for the splits I am using them on.

My preference is definitely for the hivetop feeders which can feed 3.5
gallons at a time. They are easy to refill, and feed faster than pails. I
make mine from exterior grade plywood for about $6.00 US in material. They
will probably last forever. ( For me, forever is about 25 years )

Donald Aitken
11710-129 Street
Edmonton Alberta Canada
T5M 0Y7