From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 00:20:24 -0400
> A few weeks ago, someone posted about using wire as a
> draw knife to loosen supers or frames...

> ...The wire kept breaking...
> ... Suggestions for wire that works?

One of the two higher note (thinner) violin strings work fine.

For those who advocate "non-violins", viola, guitar, and even
banjo stings will work just as well.

I'm not sure your 1/2 inch dowels are such a great idea,
but any sticks should work.  My rig has thicker handles,
each with a plastic bicycle handgrip slid over it.

My reasoning on the handles is that one want to keep tension
high and constant, keep the string taut, and make it easier to
pull through.

Do recall that one wants to keep a device like this in one's
tool box, and off the car seat.  Any cop that might pull you
over would call this a "garrote", a weapon of assassination
used to strange one's victim and/or cut his throat.

        jim