From:
"Duane H. Bajema" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 11:45:02 CST6CDT
I have a problem and could use some advice.

Last week, I had a hive tip over due to strong wind.  I lost some
bees and now the hive is is occupied by a relatively small bee
population.  I want to join the small population with an existing
strong hive since the small colony would have a difficult time
surviving the winter.

My question is, how do I proceed here in Northwest Iowa where the
temperatures are already below freezing?  Will the two queens do
battle till one survives or do I run the danger of losing both
queens if I join the colonies?

I have joined a queenless colony with a queenright colony many times
using the newspaper method, but I have never joined two queenright
colonies at this late time of the year.

Suggestions?
Duane H. Bajema                     e-mail [log in to unmask]
Agriculture Department              712/722-6275 office
Dordt College                       712/722-1198 FAX
Sioux Center, IA 51250