From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2012 06:41:35 -0400
Peter Borst wrote:

By the way, this technique is used almost exclusively in Africa. Collecting
> swarms is the main beekeeping activity, followed by taking their honey. The
> bees then abscond. I wouldn't call that "beekeeping" however.

I think you should apologize to African beekeepers for that remark, Peter.
Moreover, I think if you really consider it for a moment you will also
conclude that it is not a very defensible attitude.  It is easy to shoot
off something in a quick email that on further reflection you regret.

It is unfortunate that we don't seem to have many African beekeepers on the
list.  Probably though there are some lurkers, and that remark might prompt
a response.  I used to really enjoy the postings on the list from Garth
Cambray.

Swarm collecting is (as you do note) a beekeeping activity.  Absconding is
not a normal behaviour pattern for bees in most temperate climes, but it is
normal in much of Africa.  Working with that normal behaviour is still
beekeeping.   Fighting it and trying to maintain colonies through prolonged
drought conditions might not be very productive, or very sound management.

Frankly, I am not even sure where I would put some imaginary line between
beekeepers and the honey hunters of Apis dorsata that I have been fortunate
to work with.  In Indonesia, Cambodia and Viet Nam some honey hunters put
out planks for apis dorsta swarms to settle on, and they harvest just the
honey "head" several times before the bees abscond.  They are called
"rafter beekeepers".  Knowing where and how to set up planks and what kind
of wood and how to angle and orient them is quite an art.

Beekeepers are people who manage bees for some purpose, and I am so glad
that there are so many different ways to manage them around the world and
with different bees.

Stan