From:
Ian Steppler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Jan 2008 14:53:00 -0500
>>resistance mechanisms that scientists have identified. They
include, .... hygienic behavior of removing infested pupae, ..., and
suppression of mite reproduction

>>http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/pub..._no_115=171534
>>This suggests that the SMR bees did not remove mites from brood cells if
the mites did not lay eggs. By targeting the reproductive mites, bees with
the SMR trait give the illusion that nearly all of the mites are non-
reproductive. Therefore, our selection for a high frequency of non-
reproductive mites may have produced bees that primarily remove
reproductive mites from capped brood, not a condition that caused mites to
be non-reproductive.

>>http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/pub..._no_115=192535
>>We measured both the removal of infested cells and the frequency of
nonreproducing mites in all colonies. An increase in the rate of removal
of infested cells was strongly related to a decrease in all categories of
reproductive mites, even mites that produced eggs too late to mature.
However, removal rates were not related to the number of mites that
produced no progeny.

Maybe its seems straight forward to everyone else here, please straighten
things out for me if you please.
The way I seem to understand what is being said is first link suggest the
two mechanisms are related, and the second link suggests they are not
related.
Am I misunderstanding that? Can you find SMR and VHS seperate from one and
another, or are they always expressed together?