From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 08:12:51 -0800
 Hello,

  I have been talking to some people who are starting this year in
beekeeping. They want to know , what to do first.
 Get a beginers beekeeping book and read it.Don't just read the first
chapter like I did and have bees in the trees within one hour.
 2.When you open up the hive DON'T stand over it and breath on the
bees.They do not like the CO2 from your breath.
 3. Put on all of your gear.Don't play Rambo , after you understand the
bees more , then you can work slowly , maybe with your hands uncovered.
Last fall I was going to just pull one frame and put it back. I recieved
25 stings on my left hand before I could close the hive.When a bee stings
you they leave a sent which is a target.You have to cover it up or you
will get more stings in the same spot. I droped the frame on the hive and
all heck broke loose.

 4. Pay attention to what the bees are doing and what time of day it
is.Write down in a log what you see. Then go back to the books and see
what they have to say about it. Over time you will be able to evaluate
your bees with not much more than lifting up the lid. Sound is very
important.Once you get to the level of understanding the sounds the bees
make for different conditions in the hive your home.This takes work and
plenty of attention.
 I read a post not long ago about hobby beekeepers being the only ones
that are real beekeepers.That is hog wash.If you only have a couple of
hives you can spend a lot of time watching those hives. The big boys are
seeing many more conditions and have to correct any problems or they are
out of business.The good ones have a check off list in there head and its
not a second thought on what they have to do.One quick look and they make
a decission on what to do for the hive.They can make a mistake here and
there and not loose everything.
 As a beginer you can spend a lot of time watching your bees.If you really
get hooked. You will get more books and magizines.What you will find is
priceless. The Honey Bee is more than just one more insect on this
planet.It is part of a wonderful harmony that we call nature.It gives us
much more than Honey and pollen.The more you study the Honey Bee , the
more you will appreciate this wonderful Earth , with all of its creachers.
 Having Bees is like a journey that never ends.You will have smiles and
much more understanding , do to your wonderful exploreation. Just watch
the bees and they will take you on the trip.Use the Brain God gave you and
open it up , like a childs mind.Now just enjoy the trip.

 Best Regards
 Roy