From:
Mark Berninghausen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2014 17:35:29 -0500
Is annual colony loss data of much import, since colonies die, abscond, disappear at times other than during the winter. Some years I have found that every time I go to an apiary to super or take off honey I find another deadout. Sometimes the reason is obvious, but usually there is nothing that stands out as a reason and the equipment get thrown up on top of another colony as honey supers.

I just finished looking at all of my colonies these last few days. Eightyfive percent of the original colonies taken south are alive. Between late November and now some starved, some were drone layers which dwindled down to almost nothing, others undetermined. Some could have been done away with before taking them to SC from NY. But I always figure I need the empty equipment down there anyway and there was room on the truck. So figuring out that a colony is not worth keeping is easier to determine in SC where it is warmer to work out doors.