From:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Trevor Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2008 10:10:21 +1000
Jim wrote

> Funny, I've neever heard anyone describe the specifics
> of their comb rotation scheme.  Does this mean that
> everyone else does it by eyeballing the comb condition?

I will correct the situation.  I aim to rotate out three (3) combs very year
which means a three (3) year complete change.  I use a colour system on the
frames so I know the age.  By just looking at the colour on the frame, you
know what year it was put in.  I draw the foundations in the honey super
before extracting and putting down in the brood chamber.  I find that if I
put the foundation directly into the brood chamber the bees can chew out the
wax along the wires and you end up with a mess.  As can be guessed I do not
use plastic frames.

All this fits in with my barrier system which I have described before.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA