From:
Adrian Wenner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:53:05 -0700
   On March 14th Allen Dick asked:

>Have any observations been made as to which direction swarms normally move from
>their hives in comparison to the normal winds in an area, or the time of day
>that the swarms move, seeing as [how] winds often shift predictably with
>the >time of day?

   On 24 March I responded with a comment that I knew of no study about
where swarms eventually move from the vicinity of the parent colony.

   On 25 March Thom Bradly and Joseph Cooper responded with some excellent
observations on where swarms settled just after they left the parent colony
(initial settling site).  However, I believe that the "intent" of Allen
Dick's query was:  Where do swarm clusters me AFTER the disband from the
initial cluster in relation to prevailing winds in an area.

   My original suggestion stands --- I know of no such studies.  Please
correct me if I am wrong.

                                                        Adrian

Adrian M. Wenner                    (805) 963-8508 (home phone)
967 Garcia Road                     (805) 893-8062  (UCSB FAX)
Santa Barbara, CA  93106

*
*  "When we meet a fact which contradicts a prevailing theory,
*     we must accept that fact and abandon the theory, even when
*     the theory is supported by great names and generally
*     accepted."
*
*                                       Claude Bernard --- 1865