Date:
Sun, 18 May 1997 19:10:07 +1200
There is an amazing observation hive in a bee shop near Warkworth, just
north of Auckland New Zealand. This hive is installed in an inside wall of
the shop, and consists of a full 30 frames set in the wall behind glass.
They are arranged in a 6 (high) by 5 (wide) square. When I was there there
were several active queens and also some virgins visable. The queens can
(and do) move all over the frames, even encountering each other on
occasions, according to the owner. The hive produces brood all year round,
(admittedly our winters are pretty mild compared to the conditions I read
about here that some of you endure). From memory there were entrances all
along the bottom of the hive, on the outside wall of the shop.
Well worth a look to anyone who passes this way.
Cheers