From:
Roger Flanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Aug 1998 17:02:20 -0500
Can someone explain to me what the advantages are of the tin-roofed,
telescoping hive cover over the simpler (and far cheaper) "travel" cover?
I can see that the sides of the travel cover, with its simple front and
back overhanging cleats, sits flush with the sides of the hive
bodies/supers hive body sides, making it easier to tie down securely and
allowing transport of more side-by-side hives in the same space.  Why not
just use them all the time?  Isn't an inner cover used with either style?
Is there some disadvantage to the simpler style I'm not seeing?

p.s. to Garth:  I've been thinking about your letter last week regarding
St. Johns Wort and its possible Prozac effect on bees.  After I crush the
capsules, do you think it work better to dust the brood frames with the
powder, or mix it into a Crisco patty?  <just joking>