From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2017 00:46:31 +0000
I read and heard a couple different places that generally speaking any
major change has to be about 10 times better/more efficient to be widely
adopted.  Lots of explanations of course, cost/hassle of switching etc.  Is
it really surprising that we use the same frames and boxes?  How much
better would the new ones have to be to justify the new outlay for
extractors that don't exist for the size frames etc.

That being said I tinker a fair amount.  I had good luck with an insulated
horizontal that took 30 deep frames, this year I'm putting together a
vertical hive that's a square 8 frame.  Designed the frames so they are as
big as my extractor can hold tangentially, flipped deep foundation vertical
and it fills the frame top to bottom, but not quite side to side.  Goal is
to avoid the unused side frames etc and chimney effect that I get all time
time for various reasons.  Using rough cut lumber after reading Seeley's
comments in ABJ (plus I hate planing) and double walls with 1 inch
foamboard between.

Will it work better... maybe
Will be better enough to justify a switch, not the least bit likely.

Jeremy
West Michigan