From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:19:49 -0500
"I think the shipments of package bees contribute equally to the spread of
mites, beetles, [and AFB to a much lesser extend].  The pests migrate with
the bees in the packages and get injected directly into apiaries."

Maybe, but I don't think that packages could possibly be an 'equal'
contributor to the speed at which the pathogens and pests are traveling.
SHB may be the exception to the rule.

By defination, bees in package operations are healthy.  One just cannot get
good 'shakes' from a hive that is weakened very much.  So that hive really
stands out to the producer and his crew.  And if they do shake it, they will
accelerate the demise of that hive, and will pay dearly when the beekeeper
sees the bees he gets.

The past two Aprils I have treated my packages with an Oxalcid dunk.  Got
the bees from different producers.  AFAIK the dead varroa 'float' (at least
some do), and there were very few.  Fewer than 5 per package.  Of course,
the results could have been far different in late May.  Dunno.

Varroa took what...4-6 years to saturate the country?  Resistent AFB took
2-4 years...?  IMHO, robbing bees would have taken 2X-3X as long.  *My*
Varroa did not have to travel by bee wing from Florida to upstate NY to get
into my hives...  Several 18 wheelers did the trick in 48-60 hours, and then
*my* varroa only had to travel 60 miles to get to my bees!  What could be
more clear?

--
Lloyd Spear
Owner Ross Rounds, Inc.