From:
"Mark D. Egloff" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 08:33:26 EST
     Gentlepeople:
     This has been fascinating!

        I am a very recent subsriber to the List and a rather new beekeeper
     and I asked a question several weeks ago about feeding syrup in the
     winter.  I expressed some concern about adding moisture in the hive at
     a time when the bees couldn't process it and "dry" it out.

        Collectivly, you all have given me lots to mull over, all of it
     good stuff.

        I think, in trying to summarize, for myself at least that what I
     have heard is:

        (1)     Late winter syrup feeding is not the best way to ensure
     survival.  Fall feeding in order to provide adequate stores in the is
     best.  Dry sugar is the next best if needed.  (I must say though
     several persons stated that the bees "dilute" honey to a 50/50
     honey/water mixture anyway before consuming and implied that syrup
     could be fed any time.  Conflicting information!  Hmmmm.....maybe this
     conflict is based on the location of the bees.)

        (2)     Upper entrances (vents) are needed to allow moisture
     buildup to escape.  I think that from what you have offered, the
     higher the vent in the hive the better. (i.e. vents in inner cover
     rather than auger holes in the upper bodies)

        (3)     There is a form of bottom board called "Barres" after the
     gentleman who designed it that somehow provides ventilation.  (I would
     like more information on this one, if anyone can help.)

     I now have a lot more information than I could have gotten in several
     months of reading magazines and books.  You represent a wealth of
     experience and education that my three years can surely take advantage
     of.

     The unfortunate part of this is that, as questions are answered, new
     ones take their place.

     Can one have to much ventilation?  What if the inner cover was
     modified to include screened openings and the telescoping cover lifted
     1/4" thereby allowing plenty of venting space at the very top of the
     hive?

     Would this increase or decrease survivability?

     Would it increase or decrease evaporation of water and conversion into
     honey during honey flows?

     Thank you again for sharing all of your thoughts.  Even when the
     information sometimes conflicts, I find it extremely valuable.

     Have happy and safe holidays!

     Mark Egloff
     Dayton, Ohio, USA