From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2007 11:17:04 -0600
> If this is paradichlorobenzene (PDB) then this definitely leaves a residue
> which comes out in the honey when extracted.

I agree phostoxin and even cyanide gas leave less residue than
paradichlorobenzene. However Para is approved for use on comb in the U.S.
and if aired properly on comb without stored honey then residues are small
if any. The idea with all fumigants is to use enough product to kill all
pests and eggs and then the beekeeper needs to prevent  reinfestation. Not
to maintain a constant supply of para in the stack (although some beekeepers
actually do this.
Wax moth eggs can be found in many supers brought into the honey processing
area in late fall. Add heat and a week and you get wax moth hatching many
times. In fall you can see wax moths around hives hoping for a chance to
enter and lay eggs.

I agree with Carl that if only trying to protect a small number of supers
and if content with some comb loss then ways exist other than fumigants.

However using my friends example he had around $400,000 worth of uninsured
comb in the building in Florida. hard not to protect  your investment with a
legal approved program.

Another friend had a used semi trailer full of deep supers in Nebraska. he
had saw my container method and thought he would do the same. Only a ocean
container is very different than a used semi van body. He hired the van body
fumigated with phostoxin but the van body was not sealed (he later found
out) and had a few openings around a quarter inch. Wax moths got in and
ruined most his comb. Huge loss in many ways.

In the Northern part of the prime beekeeping areas honey is pulled many
times after wax moths are a problem and no treatment is necessary other than
letting the comb go below freezing for a period of time.

Florida is a different story.

After my honey house fire in December of 1996  I was able to buy insurance
for my stored drums of honey and my supers against everything BUT *wax moths
and small hive beetle*.

The firewall I had built held against the fire so my supers in the next room
did not go up in smoke. After the fire I went to container storage away from
the building which protects the comb better but I still insure. Losing your
comb can put you out of business and despite prices seen in bee magazines
for comb most is old junk with loose corners and 20 year old comb. Most my
comb is less than five years old and in new boxes. I would have to put a
high dollar value at today's prices for a new box,frames with freshly drawn
comb in a treated box with a coat of primer and two coats of a good paint.
Not the kind of supers you see advertised in bee magazines for 12-15 dollars
U.S..

The hobby beekeeper with a few supers can run through the freezer in a trash
bag super with frames and then store with all entrance points to pests
sealed. hard to do on a large scale.

bob

--
believed to be clean.