Date:
Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:54:15 GMT
-- Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
... but honey that has been carefully handled and packed, taken from
bees that are raised in accord with standard
practices.

>>>well peter, i would submit that (at least the subset of people
that buy organic or organicish) would be turned off to learn what
the "standard practices" are.

Many would no doubt try to keep bees without treatments if it would
work.

>>>well, let's assume that you get 1/2 the crop without using
chemicals....if you can get twice as much per pound (or less, you
don't have the added costs for the chemicals), it's a wash...and if
by not using chemicals one can breed bees that are not dependant on
chems (which you have no oppurtunity to do if you are using chems),
you will do much better than 1/2 the crop in the long run.  is it
more or less profitable?  really it depends on the beekeeper and the
local market.

>>>don't get me wrong, i'm not condeming those that do use
chemicals...my point is that honey produced without putting chemicals
in the hive is a differant product, one that many people are willing
to pay more for.  in fact, i would bet that most people that buy
honey from beekeepers (or at health food stores) would assume that no
chemicals are put in the hive...and would be shocked to learn
otherwise.

deknow