From:
queenbee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 2015 15:09:48 +1000
>We started today the monitoring of varroa and I have the impresion that the
>varroas I found here are smallers than the ones I see at Chile.

>Do anyone remember or knows of any reference to size of varroa and
>haplotype?

Not sure on size but I recall that there are two main haplotypes that affect
mellifera.  Korean and Japanese.  From memory the Korean ones are more
"deadly" than the Japanese and I aslo recall that there were places in South
Amercia that had the Japanese and not the Korean. Maybe this is the case.

I would suspect that they are not jacobsoni because initially jacobsoni does
not reproduce on mellifera and they would need Apis cerana there to keep
reproducing.  We know that after many years of exposure in Papua New Guinea
jacobsoni did switch to mellifera.

Trevor Weatherhead
Australia

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 11834 (20150624) __________